Galina Akchurina leads FBK Legal's Tax Litigation Practice and is one of the most effective tax lawyers in Russia. While Galina has worked for the FBK Group, the total of tax claims successfully disputed and tax refunded to companies exceeded $2 billion.
According to such law firm rankings as Chambers, The Legal 500 EMEA, World Tax and Pravo.RU-300, the team of lawyers led by Galina Akchurina is among the best in Russia.
According to The Legal 500 rating, Galina is "a talented, if not prodigious, tax litigator".
Best Lawyers 2019 named Galina Akchurina among the best tax specialists in Russia. She was also named among the best tax litigators according to The Legal 500 EMEA 2018, Chambers Europe 2018, World Tax and World Transfer Pricing 2018, Tax Controversy Leaders 2018 and Women in Tax Leaders 2018.
She contributed to the improvement of taxation for agricultural producing companies by the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation.
Galina has extensive experience in teaching and lecturing special courses and seminars. She teaches tax law for students obtaining executive MBA and MBA in Finance at the Higher School of Economics. She gives lectures on taxation matters (including tax aspects of corporate relationships) at the STATUTE Law School and the Institute of Modern Technology Development.
Galina participates in the Podderzhka Project initiated by Viktor Batsiev.
She regularly speaks at top Russian conferences, including SPBILF, Tax Congress, CCI’s All-Russian Tax Forum and Forum on Taxes and Fuel and Energy Complex. In 2018 Galina Akchurina was invited to speak at the TEDxMoscow event dedicated to “the rules of the game”.
- successfully defending Gazprom dobycha Krasnodar LLC before the Presidium of the Supreme Court of Arbitration of the Russian Federation in a dispute with Interregional Inspectorate for Major Taxpayers No. 2. These proceedings have set a precedent for the application of one of the basic principles of tax law pertaining to tax audits. The disputed amount was RUB 800 million;
- defending and representing the client in pre-trial proceedings and before the court in respect of one of the first on-site tax audits of the consolidated group of taxpayers in Russia. FBK managed to have almost 50% of all additionally charged taxes cancelled at the pre-trial stage and successfully challenged all additionally charged taxes in court;
- securing a refund of overpaid mineral extraction tax in the amount of $70 million for a large extracting company. This case involved challenging the legal position of the Russian Ministry of Finance with reference to non-application of the provisions of the Russian Tax Code related to the enactment of amendments to laws on taxes and levies and violation of law interpretation rules when calculating the mineral extraction tax rate;
- defending several large fish and seafood traders during on-site tax audits, including challenging allegations of obtaining unjustified tax benefit at the pre-trial stage, which has set a precedent in the fishing industry;
- developing industry-specific guidelines for organisational and control procedures for several clients from various industries to ensure compliance with Article 54.1 of the Tax Code of the Russian Federation;
- developing transfer pricing methods for companies in the fuel and energy sector, groups of chemical companies, transportation companies and consumer goods manufacturers;
- successfully defending the interests of CJSC Gazprom YRGM Trading before the Presidium of the Supreme Court of Arbitration of the Russian Federation in a dispute with the tax authorities regarding foreign exchange losses in paying dividends to foreign shareholders;
- successfully contesting tax claims against McDonald's (Russia), including claims regarding the application of the reduced VAT rate;
- successfully contesting extra taxes imposed on Glencore subsidiaries exceeding $1 million.
Tax disputes, assistance during tax audits, tax structuring and risk assessment, transfer pricing, tax due diligence.
2000 Moscow State Law Academy (diploma with distinction)
2002 Special course read by Christopher Osakwe on Comparative Law, National Research University Higher School of Economics (Moscow)
1999 Plekhanov Russian University of Economics (Moscow), Qualification as Accountant