Levon Grigorian serves as counsel at FBK Legal. He has the status of advocate under Russian law and is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, Unites States.
He specializes in the resolution of commercial and investment disputes, international arbitration, economic sanctions, government and corporate investigations, assessment of legal risks and criminal aspects of international investments and commercial projects. His experience also includes advising clients on cross-border investments in such sectors as natural resources, real estate, telecommunications and marine transportation with the focus on Russia and other countries of the former Soviet Union.
Over the last 25 years, Levon Grigorian has advised large Russian and foreign public and private corporations and governments and worked on international corporate, oil and gas, mining, privatization and other projects.
He advises clients on matters of international trade and government policy, including sanctions and export control programs and laws of the US, the EU and other countries, application of US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act.
Apart from his work in Russia, he has over 15 years of experience of practicing law in the US and other countries at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, King & Spalding LLP and Mayer Brown LLP.
Prior to starting private practice, he was a law professor at the Kutafin Moscow State Law University.
Levon Grigorian has participated in the drafting of several laws in Russia and abroad. He has authored a number of articles and presentations on various legal and business subjects in Russia, the US and other countries.
- Resolution of international commercial and investment disputes
- Recognition and enforcement of judgements and arbitral awards
- Economic sanctions
- Cross-border government and corporate investigations
- Anti-corruption matters (US FCPA, UK Bribery Act)
- Assessment of legal risks of investment and commercial projects and dispute
- Foreign asset recovery
- Criminal law aspects of cross-border projects and corporate disputes
- Advice on matters of Russian and foreign law.
- advising a Fortune 500 oil and gas service company on criminal and civil law issues in relation to the application of the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act;
- representing a Cypriot company in a dispute with minority shareholders over corporate control and rights to significant assets in Russia;
- advising a large European insurance company on matters of Russian law in relation to a dispute with a European bank;
- representing governmental organizations of a Central Asian country in several arbitration proceedings under the ICC Arbitration Rules in a series of disputes with an Argentinian oil company with respect to significant oil and gas fields in that country;
- advising a large Russian bank over sanctions regime in the US, EU and other countries;
- advising a company that is a part of a large Russian industrial and financial group on sanctions legislation of the US and EU;
- advising a Russian law firm on risks of potential US secondary sanctions;
- advising a Russian company on sanctions risks, including secondary sanctions risks;
- representing a Liechtenstein company in arbitration proceedings under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules in a dispute with a Canadian public company over a contract related to oil and gas projects in a Central Asian country;
- representing Kazakhstan’s largest oil and gas company in negotiations with the consortium of leading western oil and gas companies over a production sharing agreement relating to a large oil field in the northern portion of the Caspian Sea;
- advising a top Indian oil and gas company on a tender bid for an oil and gas project in Western Australia;
- representing and advising the government of a CIS country on the privatization of a national telecommunications operator;
- advising one of the largest US oil companies on a joint project with the largest oil company in a North African country involving the transportation, storage and sale of oil in America, including consulting on sanctions and export control;
- representing and advising a number of companies on mergers and acquisitions, private placement, initial public offering and other capital raising options, as well as on subsoil management;
- advising a number of international companies on legal aspects of liquefied natural gas production and transportation, including LNG transportation in tankers in the US territorial waters;
- advising leading international investment and commercial banks on legal aspects of foreign currency transactions and transactions with securities of Russian and foreign issuers;
- representing and advising public organizations in several countries in Central Asia in negotiations with investors and legal implementation of significant gold mining projects with foreign investments;
- representing and advising large gold mining companies in Australia, Canada, the US and other countries on gold and other mining projects in the former Soviet Union.
Chamber of Advocates of the Moscow Region
State Bar of Texas, the United States
Association of International Petroleum Negotiators