For 15 years, Alexander Grigoriev has represented clients before tax authorities and courts, advised on transition to tax monitoring, assisted during tax control procedures and provided tax consulting services.
Alexander is also in charge of tax monitoring projects at FBK Grant Thornton. In addition, he is an alternative dispute resolution specialist (mediator).
Prior to joining FBK Legal in 2006, Alexander was a senior lawyer at a commercial organisation, as well as the chief expert of the legal division at a regional tax office.
Alexander was named among the best tax litigators in Russia by the International Tax Review Magazine (Tax Controversy Leaders). He was also personally recommended by Best Lawyers 2020 and The Legal 500 EMEA 2019.
- assisting a big machine-building group in transition to tax monitoring;
- developing methodology and recommendations for an oil and gas company to improve internal control and risk management for tax monitoring purposes;
- representing PJSC Gazprom and its subsidiaries before tax authorities in over 50 different assignments. In particular, a favourable decision in one of the cases allowed for a settlement agreement to be signed between PJSC Gazprom and tax authorities in 2018. Risk assessment and tax consulting (calculation of indicators for mineral extraction tax, recognition of expenses for natural resources development, investment construction, relationships with counterparties);
- pre-trial consulting of a big power supply company in a dispute over the application of a double taxation treaty and qualification of cross-border transactions. As a result, claims to the company were withdrawn by the authorities;
- pre-trial representation of a global leader in the development and production of window and door systems. Claims to the company related to recognition of expenses were fully withdrawn due to the provision of explanations on cost formation. Furthermore, additional tax assessments related to the beneficial owner of income matter were proved unjustified;
- successfully representing a major fast food caterer in a dispute over unjustified tax benefit;
- representing a machine-building enterprise in a tax dispute, all additional tax assessments were withdrawn;
- challenging a judgement based on the results of a tax audit of a pharmaceutical manufacturer, including in respect of taxation of unclaimed goods etc.
Assistance in transition to tax monitoring, assistance during tax control procedures, analysis of tax risks and tax structuring.
2008 Russian State Tax Academy under the Russian Ministry of Finance (Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation), Lawyer, Tax Law
2018 Research Centre for Mediation and Law, Mediator